My coworker, Ryan, enjoying our "lunch" break
If you hadn't heard there is big fire just a few miles from Yosemite Valley right now. Its bad enough that we have to deal with all the smoke and ash, but worse still, we have no electricity. Apparently the fire was burning through an area where all the power lines crossed so PG & E shut down the power about 5 days ago now.
What this means for me...no cooking, no light, no hot water, and no electronics (I'm writing this in the Ahwahnee because they have a generator). Oh, and our refrigerator doesn't work, of course, so both my roommate and I have lost around $100 dollars in food. Normally all of this would be that big of a deal, its like camping right? WRONG! All of my camping gear is in Davis and I work nights so I'm somewhat dependent on electricity.
I've never wanted to leave Yosemite as much as I want to right now. In fact, as soon as my shift is over at 4am tomorrow I'm hitting the road. Then I'll just be crossing my fingers that the power will be back on by next Wednesday.
Only the roaches will survive!