Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arg! Not Again.

Just before the pop.

It was sunny when we woke up today. Everyones' spirits were high. We lounged around in the sun, eating breakfast, building up our energy for the day's sending.  The warm-up went well, the temps were good, the skin was hard, and the muscles strong.  Kevin sent his project, "Trent's Mom" and can now die a happy man. I had the chance to climb a relatively new problem called the "Gurkha Knife," which was on my tick list.  I had first seen this problem on YouTube and was not disappointed when I saw it in person. Later in the day we all congregated at the "Big Joe" wall.  Kevin, Ryan, and Wick came close on "Nerve Extension," which is the the extension to "Big Joe," one of Peter's projects. I busied myself with "Smoking Joe," which went pretty quickly. Time for lunch.

After a siesta, we all headed back down the left fork so that the guys could try "Worse Case Scenario." After a brief session there we all walked over to "The Wind Below." This problem sits high atop tick list because of its grandeur and beauty. It doesn't hurt either that the moves on this problem are really cool too! Kevin, being the only one to have done (or even tried) the problem before went first and quickly repeated it. Afterward, I quickly booted up and hopped on.  The first couple moves went well, I then set a right heel hook and began to rock over to a crimp that is utilized by the left hand. I came up a bit short but tried to reel it back in for a second attempt at the reach. That's when I felt (and heard) a distinct popping in my knee. I immediately dropped off cursing.

Fortunately the popping was not the tendons in my knee, but rather my hamstring (Kevin said he thought he heard a hold break). I think I have a severely pulled hamstring and I'm not sure if I'll be climbing anymore this trip. I'm resting tomorrow and maybe the next day and then I'll re-evaluate. I'm extremely frustrated right now but I'm thankful that it is not another finger injury. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Fuck.

6 comments:

J V said...

time to go crack climbing. Go. It'll be good for you.

shannon said...

you're clearly too fragile (old) to boulder- geezers should stick to trad. come to INDIAN CREEK.

but seriously, that sucks- i tore mine very badly in spain - they couldn't figure out my insurance at the clinic in town so they gave me a shot of painkiller in the ass and sent me on my way. i couldn't walk properly for a week.

Justin said...

Yes, I'm feeling very old right now. I can hobble about but not much more than that. We'll see.

Vicki said...

bummer, justin. too bad you don't have any chicks along because deep massage is one of the best things (besides ice which is probably a bit hard to come by) right now. maybe you can get nancy to work some magic with her hands.

Vicki said...

bummer, justin. too bad you don't have any chicks along because deep massage is one of the best things (besides ice which is probably a bit hard to come by) right now. maybe you can get nancy to work some magic with her hands.

Susy said...

hey, you can't be old cuz then I'd be ancient! maybe things happen for a reason as your healing powers are needed in Davis. Many more climbing days ahead for you, young man - trust yo' mama