Friday, April 4, 2008

Just Thinking

This picture has nothing to do with anything, I just like it. From the museum in Price, UT.

When I was nine years old, I was playing tag with a bunch of other kids during recess at school. In the midst of all the action my best friend Ryan and I got into an all out brawl with each other. While it was easily the most heated fight of my life at the time (remember I was only nine) I did not then nor do I now have any idea how it started. At the end of recess we both stormed off to our separate classrooms. Then at the next recess, or lunch break (I really don't remember) a beautiful thing happened. We both went right back to being best friends and have remained so ever since.

As an adult when conflict arises between myself and a friend or loved one I find myself asking the question 'why?' The thing is, often times there is no meaningful answer that could bring me any peace of mind. Sometimes shit just happens. Anyway, as child I didn't need any answers to any pointless questions I just wanted my best friend back. So, we just moved on. 

Sometimes I wish things were still that simple.

2 comments:

Susy said...

awww, great message and timely for me as well. you're so profound; are you sure you weren't the philosophy major and not Ryan?

J V said...

I'd fight you right now.